Last Saturday I celebrated my 21st birthday in Austin on the legendary 6th street after a long day of spending time exploring with my friends. We started getting ready around 10ish and took an Uber down to 6th street around 11, the bars closed at 2 am so it was more than enough time to spend down there. It was my first time being on 6th street and I wasn’t to sure what to expect so I decided to write about the Do’s and Dont’s on 6th street.
- Wear something you’re comfortable in – I wore a skirt, a crop top, and comfortable pumps because I’m used to wearing heels so I was completely comfortable with what I was wearing but girls who aren’t normally comfortable in heels, DON’T wear them.
- Go with friends you trust completely – 6th street is known for bars and drinking so be sure you are with good friends and people you trust so they can watch out for you and take care of you if necessary.
- Eat a good meal before you start drinking – drinking on an empty stomach will only get you drunk way faster and make you feel sick at the end of the night.
- Wear a sash, tiara, or button saying you’re the birthday girl so that the bars will see it and give you or you and your friends free drinks
- Try to go to as many bars as possible, just to be able to experience them
- Stay hydrated – Drink lots and lots of water, the day before and the day of!
- Don’t pre-game before going out – if you don’t want to be that sloppy drunk person then I recommend not pre-gaming before because the you’ll already be drunk by the time you get downtown.
- Take lots of pictures and videos – Just in case you don’t remember what happened the next day, you will be able to see pictures and videos that captured significant moments
- Put an Advil, water, and a trash can by your bed – I had my first hang over the morning after my evening on 6th but having the medicine and water right by my bed in the morning helped it go away faster.
- Accept drinks from guys or any strangers if you didn’t see them buying them physically – accepting drinks from strangers is very dangerous because they can easily sneak stuff in your drink to take advantage of you
- Drive yourself, take an uber – Lets face it, nobody likes to be the DD especially if they are the only sober person out of the whole group. Solve this problem and take an Uber so that everybody can enjoy and have fun, Ubers are a lot cheaper than taxi’s too so its a win, win.
- Stay in Austin for the night, if you don’t live there already – if you have a friend you can stay the night with, do it, or book a hotel room with enough time in advance to stay the evening you plan on going. You and everybody in your group are going to be too drunk and too sleepy to drive back home
- Lose the group you are with – 6th street is super crowded, no matter what time you go. Make sure you stick with them at all times because there are so many bars and so many people that you can separate from them very quickly and then you have to play phone tag trying to find each other which is hard enough sober, but even worse drunk.
- Lose your personal belongings – before the night starts tell your best friend or boyfriend to keep an eye on your purse and phone throughout the night because you are going to need the things in your purse and your phone the next day
All these do’s and dont’s apply if you’re going bar hopping or out drinking anywhere, always be safe but enjoy yourself and have a good time!
Hope everyone is doing well! Follow me on social media at @itsxoxoloriallison to keep up with what I’m doing when I’m not blogging!
Thank you for reading,
Xoxo, Lori Allison